BEST PRACTICE: 1
1.Title of the Practice: WOMEN EMPOWERMENT THROUGH HOLISTIC EDUCATION
2. Objectives of the Practice:
- To build a safe and inclusive environment for girls.
- To develop a culture where girls can acknowledge the real world problems and learn to overcome them.
- To boost their self-esteem & confidence.
- To develop in them essential traits like compassion for humanity & love for nature.
- Encourage them to excel in Academics, Sports & Co curricular activities.
- To develop value oriented leadership in female students and enhance their personality.
- To create conducive counselling environment for females.
3. The Context: Women have been a marginalized class in educational sector especially in rural areas. Inspite of efforts to reduce gender gap in education, there continue to be significant barriers to girl education. Empowerment of women is one of the key development initiatives identified by the Government of Uttar Pradesh and therefore launched “Mission Shakti – Nirbhaya ek pahal” on 29th September, 2021. It has the clear objective of providing a safe environment to women and empowering them with a series of awareness and capacity building workshops. In line with this vision our college took upon itself the mammoth task of empowering girls students.
4. The Practice: The college caters the professed objective of Women Empowerment, by encouraging the girls students to spread their wings in all dimensions of healthy college life. We transform the talent through cutting edge education amalgamated with cultural and spiritual rejuvenation. Holistic methodologies are adopted to empower them physically, mentally and shape them into the healthy young citizens with character and culture. Projects, Seminars, Discussions and Extension Lectures provide a forum for them to think. Organization of multifarious competitions like Rangoli, Mehandi, etches out their creativity. Regular Health Awareness Lectures, Workshops on Self Défense, Personality Development Courses, Rallies, Debates, Letter Writing & Poster Making on gender issues are regularly conducted to equip the girls fully to face the real world. We try to provide professional skills to girls through value added courses to compete in global market. Career guidance is also provided to facilitate economic security and financial independence of women. Ample opportunities are thrown open to all students to participate in various Competitions where strength of girls students is taken care of. An altruistic attitude is energized in them through Value Education. They are motivated to join NSS & NCC to engrave in them the sentiment of service towards society & nation. The college is equipped to enable the students to develop their athletic skill in indoor & outdoor games. Scholarships are given to deserving and needy girls. Ace performers in Sports, Co-curricular activities and Academics are felicitated with Awards & Prizes. Coaching assistance and Remedial classes are organized to stretch the weak students at par with others. We help the girls to find their own footing, write their own story and fight their own battles after they move out from this institution. All our meaningful efforts have proved to be a game changer enabling us to accomplish the goal of women empowerment successfully.
The institute has constituted various committees including Women Cell, 1090 Cell and Grievance Redressal Cell (for girl’s students) to address issues and problems faced by girl’s students in the premises.
5. Evidence of Success:Remarkable results in academics in all classes speak volumes of our success in sharpening the intellect of girls. We have been able to grab considerable number of participation of girls students in various platforms. Our girls excelled in Academics, sports arena & co- curricular activities and grabbed several medals in College, District as well as State level competitions.
6. Problems Encountered and Resources Required:The first barrier in the way of efforts of college to foster women empowerment is ingrained in cultural norms. The girls feel the pressure as they have to go against the system of socially constructed gender biases to enter the college. A majority of girls are from humble family background. They have low level of self-confidence and insufficient family support. Most of the girls discontinue their education after graduation and embrace matrimony. Parents still perceive marriage as priority over education. This dwindles the number of girl students in post-graduation. The institute needs more funding from government to provide financial support in form of scholarships and concessions.
BEST PRACTICE: 2
1. Title of the Practice:
“GREEN CAMPUS CLEAN CAMPUS”
2. Objectives of the Practice:
- To foster a culture of eco-friendly practices and making the campus environmentally sustainable.
- To build a campus that is plastic free, produces minimal waste, conserves energy, protects biodiversity
- To practice self-sustainability in areas of power, water and cleanliness.
- To pursue collective endeavour of our students, institutional staff and neighbouring community.
3. The Context:College is spread in total area of 11.82 acre of land on which four buildings have been constructed for various academic purposes. The rest of the campus can be categorized as playgrounds, lawns, garden and green belt that acts as a natural habitat for biodiversity. The variety of species of grasses, herbs, shrubs and trees also help in recharging of groundwater. Climate change is no myth: The rate of environmental degradation in the 21st century industrial, consumerist society is alarming. Our institute has been consistently working towards creating and maintaining an eco-friendly and clean campus.
4. The Practice: 4. The Practice:
Institute plants new trees each year, moreover cutting trees on campus is strictly prohibited. Bird watching and tree identification walks are often carried out. A botanical garden is maintained at the premises. The campus is single-use plastic free and tobacco free. Environment-friendly, energy-saving electrical appliances that reduce wasteful inefficiencies have been installed. The electrical wiring is protected against leakage and short circuit. We have phased out 95% of CFL and conventional light sources with LED lighting. The college uses solar energy and practices rain water harvesting. Waste water coming out of the Reverse Osmosis (RO) system is reused by channelizing this water to be used for various purposes. We have been organizing various programs related to National resources management for sustainable development and use of green technology to engage the larger community of students, industry experts, policy makers, and academicians. It helps to raise awareness around environmental issues. The problem of waste management is tackled by hiring people specially women from out sourcing, therefore, it provides employment to women from marginalized communities.
5. Evidence of Success: The college campus uses solar power for various purposes including water pumps. Tree plantation drives are carried out annually. There are approximately 350 trees, 1000 shrubs and 1.5 acres of grass cover. 56 species of trees have been identified and geo tagged.
6. Problems Encountered and Resources Required:We faced problems in efficient maintenance of solar power generation. There were technical faults including failure of one of the inverters. This reduced the efficiency of in-house solar panels.